Tomato Sauce with Oregano
| Yield: 4 Servings | Time: 40 minutes |
This recipe originally appeared in Growing Perennial Foods: A field guide to raising resilient herbs, fruits, and vegetables. On sale now.
2 T olive oil
¾ cup chopped white onion (about ½ medium onion)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 ½ T tomato paste
¼ cup red wine, optional
½ tsp dried basil
½ tsp dried oregano
Salt and pepper
15 ounces diced tomato
½ tsp Red pepper flakes (optional)
1 cup vegetable broth
2 T butter
¼ cup chopped fresh oregano
1. In a large skillet, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add garlic and cook for one minute, making sure not to brown. Add onions and cook for five to ten minutes, or until translucent.
2. If using wine, add wine and reduce down for 1 minute.
3. Stir in tomato paste, dried basil and oregano, and a few dashes of salt and pepper.
4. Add diced tomato and red pepper flakes (if using). Again, season with salt and pepper.
5. Slowly stir in vegetable stock. Reduce heat to a simmer and allow to cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
6. Stir in 2 tablespoons butter or vegan butter, then add the chopped fresh oregano and season with more salt and pepper. Allow to simmer for a few minutes, then remove from heat.